5 Things To Know Before You Start Trucking  

New to trucking or just beginning to explore the industry? Congratulations! Heading into commercial driving is very exciting, and even better with the right help.

Here are a few important things to keep in mind before you begin your trucking career.

Knowing someone who’s in the business is a great way to get your foot in the door or learn more about the trucking industry.

Another way is to take advantage of services such as load boards. As a Loadlink customer, you have access to a one-stop-shop of services, plus the largest network of available loads in Canada. Aside from having full autonomy with your work schedule, this also allows you to earn instant and unlimited income

No matter which stage of your career you’re in, our multitude of services has something for you. Discover how Loadlink can help you grow.

All truck drivers in Canada need to be insured. Many companies require you to provide them with a CVOR, driving record or abstract, and background check to assess insurance eligibility. Rates and requirements will differ between companies, provinces, and circumstances, so find out what requirements apply to you.  

Before receiving a commercial driver’s license, drivers in many provinces must complete mandatory entry-level training (MELT). The MELT guidelines and the requirements will vary across provinces. This program is already implemented in Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, and Saskatchewan, and will be implemented by British Columbia in Fall 2021.

Finding a reputable and credible driving school is one of the best ways to succeed in the industry. On top of providing you with the basic training you need, they are often well-equipped to provide information and can be a great starting point when looking for insurance tips, industry connections, and other resources. Look for schools endorsed by MELT program regulatory bodies, such as the TTSAO for Ontario and the ICBC for British Columbia.

Different types of endorsements can be required for your job depending on the province and the license grade. Air brake endorsements are mandatory for full Class A or Class 1 license holders, while they may be optional for other license classes. Check with your province to see which endorsements you may need, how to receive them, and how they can contribute to your career. 


Truck Licensing in Canada

Commercial licensing in Canada is provincially regulated. Whether you want to work as a sole proprietor, are planning to join a company, or have exclusive contracts with third parties, be sure to contact the transportation department of your province or territory to learn more about their requirements. Click on your province or territory below to get started: